Leaderboard
728x15

Nice Photo Share photos

Large Rectangle

A few nice photo share images I found:


Value Unused = Waste
photo share
Image by Kevin Krejci
My Grandma always said "waste not, want not"... Lisa Gansky has written the book on the subject. Check out her excellent: "The Mesh: Why the Future of Business is Sharing"

Photo taken at Web 2.0 Summit 2010 in San Francisco, CA.


Board at work
photo share
Image by Christmas w/a K
My bulletin board door at work - top is some fave images; bottom is mindful work content. Latest addition is the set of re-purposed business cards, inspired by hipster PDA and slip method. I wrote those up in my first weeks, and after a year - these themes hold up completely. Now posted for Constant Vigilance!


Georgia Chaplain, Shepherd of good will at Atlas Drop, April 2011
photo share
Image by US Army Africa
A young boy smiles during a visit by Chaplain (Capt.) Andy Shepherd of Moreland, Ga., 3rd Squadron, 108th Cavalry Regiment, Georgia National Guard, and other U.S. Soldiers to the Ududui Primary School near Soroti, Uganda, April 15.

Photo by Sgt. 1st Class Brock Jones, 128th Mobile Public Affairs Detachment, Utah Army National Guard

To learn more about U.S. Army Africa visit our official website at www.usaraf.army.mil

Official Twitter Feed: www.twitter.com/usarmyafrica

Official Vimeo video channel: www.vimeo.com/usarmyafrica

Join the U.S. Army Africa conversation on Facebook: www.facebook.com/ArmyAfrica


Training in remote areas like the one in Soroti, Uganda, for Atlas Drop 11
gives U.S. and host-nation Soldiers the opportunity to share knowledge, tactics and skills. The training is rigorous; days are often long and the nights short.

Maintaining the spiritual needs of Soldiers is an important task, the responsibility of chaplains and their assistants.

Chaplain (Capt.) Andy Shepherd of Moreland, Ga., a chaplain assigned to the 3rd Squadron, 108th Cavalry Regiment, Georgia National Guard, and his assistant, Sgt. Desmond Manning of Stockbridge, Ga., spent their time during Atlas Drop 11 attending to the spiritual needs of U.S. Soldiers and provided counseling services.

Their job didn’t end at the edge of the drop zone; both Shepherd and Manning reached out to the surrounding communities.

“I just went out one day walking downtown to pick up some supplies,” said Shepherd. “The locals were really glad to see us, and that really just touched my heart. That really just put a drive in me to go visit more people out in the community to let them know we’re here and that we care — and as a chaplain, as a Christian — just to show the love of God and that I do care, that I am concerned.”

That first walk around Soroti sparked a desire in Shepherd and Manning to get out more and meet people and visit schools, churches and orphanages to assess their needs and what they could do to help. Since that first walk they played soccer and prayed with school children, talked to numerous clergy from various faiths about their ministries and shook hundreds of hands. This was all this in addition to taking care of and talking to Ugandan and U.S. Soldiers.

Shepherd said the people of the Soroti area have touched his heart during his short stay.

“Going out into the community has really affected me in several ways,” he said. “One, it has really humbled me as a person, to see how the people live here and how they are so happy and enjoying life with so little. And also it has really affected me spiritually. I have been touched and challenged to, even when I leave here, continue to give to some of the places that I have visited. I feel just kind of challenged to do more.”

Manning said he was deeply moved by the people he has met and the lives they lead.

“It’s really touched me just to see the kinds of conditions the people live in. It’s something that I will take with me the rest of my life,” he said. “I go to bed and I cannot sleep. I just lie there going over all the things I saw during the day.”

In coming to Uganda, Manning was focused on providing spiritual support for Soldiers, but after going out and meeting people and seeing the conditions in the schools, his desire to also provide spiritually for the people in Soroti grew.

“Maybe we cannot give them the material things that they need, but we can provide them a little support and let them know that there’s a God, that there’s hope,” he said. “That’s what we do as chaplains and chaplain assistants: We reach out not just to our people, but we go out there and give what support we can give.”

When Atlas Drop 11 ends, Shepherd and Manning will both return to Georgia, having done their best to follow the scriptural admonitions of going the extra mile and succoring the weak that they believe in deeply. It is also likely that both of them would say that they wish they could have done more.

“This experience in Uganda has also been a blessing to me, to experience the people here and how they have so much hope with the few resources they have,” said Shepherd. “It has really challenged me to figure out ways to minister and show the love of God to the Ugandans. I have been very fortunate to have this experience. I think it’s something that I will never forget.”

Banner