Leaderboard
728x15

Grandson in front of burning bush, Mom's house

Large Rectangle

Check out these photo sizes images:


Grandson in front of burning bush, Mom's house
photo sizes
Image by Martin LaBar
Our younger grandson, Mr. Cheerful Perpetual Motion, about 21 months old, holding still, for once, in front of his great-grandmother's house. I'm glad that his mother brought him. The two of us were just wandering around, enjoying ourselves, while his mother, grandmother, and aunt were looking over the house.

That's a burning bush, Euonymus alatus, in the background. They are splendid in the fall. That's a lamb's quarters, Chenopodium album, draped over his right shoulder. It is showing some fall color, too, which can be seen better at the larger sizes.

His brother stayed home.

I am pleased to be the curator of a Euonymus gallery, which has fine photos from other Flickr members.


Poison ivy leaf, autumn color, with galls
photo sizes
Image by Martin LaBar
I have been allergic to poison ivy, Toxicodendron radicans, for decades. I'm pretty good at recognizing it, and staying away from it. But I saw this plant on a walk through our neighborhood, and thought that the leaves looked sufficiently bizarre that they were worth a close photo. The plant is in its autumn colors -- poison ivy can be spectacular in the fall -- and many or all of the leaves were infected with little growths. I looked the growths up, and they are said to be galls -- part of the plant tissue, co-opted by the insect to provide protection for it -- caused by a mite, Aculops, the poison ivy leaf gall mite.

The holes were apparently due to galls on the other side of the leaf.

I enhanced the contrast a little with The Gimp.

Larger sizes available, if you want closer weirdness. I have also posted a close-up photo of a leaf from the same plant. See my comment, below, to access it.

Thanks for all your views! I am please to report that two of my galleries are at 1,000 or more views, and another one is less than 12 away from that number. (Note added later - one of my galleries has had over 3,000 views, and two others, over 1,000. Thanks!)

Banner