Leaderboard
728x15

Lost in Times Square

Large Rectangle

Check out these york photo images:


Lost in Times Square
york photo
Image by kevin dooley
New York City, summer of 2011.

Lost in Times Square


naughty santa
york photo
Image by istolethetv
Taken at New York Santacon 2008. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SantaCon
If this picture is of you, leave a comment and let me know.


Hotel or Disney Theme Park?
york photo
Image by Express Monorail
I attempted to do a little research and try to find out a little about this set piece on the Streets Of America in Disney's Hollywood Studios. I didn't find much on it at all, which, given the loads of information out there on all things Walt Disney World, was a little surprising. I'll admit that I don't know a lot about New York or this area of Disney's Hollywood Studios. I knew that the picture was taken in the “New York” portion of the area and I made the assumption that it was a hotel.

So I “Googled” famous New York City hotels. I came across this one called “Plaza Hotel”. It is an historic hotel built in 1907 and located at the corner of 5th Avenue and 59th Street in Manhattan, and is operated by Fairmont. While the Disney Imagineers obviously didn't follow the design of The Plaza to the “T”, there are enough design elements present that tell me is was certainly the main, if not only, influence. The most obvious elements to me are the diagonal, checkered floor, the basic structure of the steps with red carpet in the middle, the ornamental design above the doors, and the circle lights on the face of the canopy. The picture I found (in the comments below) make me wonder if the circle lights at the Disney version light up like this. Like I said previously, there are some things definitely different, but it certainly has it's influences.

So there you go, next time you pass this “set piece” in the New York area of Streets of America you can know that it was designed after the historic Plaza Hotel.

___________________________________________________________________

Streets of America, Disney's Hollywood Studios, Walt Disney World Resort

Thanks for stopping by, and I hope you have a great Thanksgiving Day!

Banner